The PMGO is responsible for the following:
• Continuous instrument monitoring of earthquakes and tsunamis in the PNG region.
• Provision of advice and early warnings where possible to relevant authorities on significant earthquakes and tsunamis and mitigation measures.
• Strategic assessments of earthquake and tsunami hazards.
• Maintenance of databases for earthquake and tsunami for PNG.
• Research into seismicity and tsunami activity with the aim of improving monitoring and assessment capabilities.
• Public awareness programs concerning the hazards of earthquakes and tsunamis.